Friday, July 25, 2014

I can't write, therefore I should write



I truly appreciate well formulated writing.  Writing that brings you in, makes you feel what is being written, and gives you a mental picture of what is going on.  I cannot do this and I know it.  I am not too bothered about this situation though due to the fact that it's actually pretty rare among the regular non-book writing public.

Mike Williams and Chauncey Lindner are two guys who have this gift and I respect fully this attribute about them.  They don't try to show you how good of a writer they are, they just write.  The antithesis of pretentiousness as well which I appreciate.  Too often, English teachers seemingly are the worst "reads" due to the fact that they are trying to wow the reader with their awesomeness.  Awesomeness which apparently is lacking.

It is my contention that good writing is birthed from practice and reading.  It is clear when I see people posting on the inter-web when someone is not a reader due to the evidence of their ineptitude of the written English language.  If you read, you should have some ability to write.  If you write, you care enough about your writing in some capacity therefore there should be some ability within.  I am a big believer in good practice makes better so I have decided to start writing for pleasure as much as possible.

As I said before, I don't pretend to be a good writer but I do like using fun language.  I like interesting words....hopefully I use them correctly.  I am not trying to impress anybody with my writing; rather, I am just interested in honing my skills as a thinker.  I often sit on my back porch and think about how the world should be run, and why things are the way they are.  I have ideas in my head, I am just thinking that perhaps it is time for me to put those ideas down somewhere so that when I am an old man, I may remember what I once thought and laugh at how foolish I was when I was a younger man.




1 comment:

  1. Good to see you doing this, Pratt. Looking forward to reading it...

    ReplyDelete